This 8-hour course offers a new perspective, POWER, helps maintain and improve the psychological characteristics of successful peace officers. Using the principles and exercises in The POWER Manual: A Step-by-Step Guide to Improving Police Officer Wellness, Ethics, & Resilience [included in the course materials], attendees learn about the moral risks of policing and the transactional relationship between officer wellness and their ethical decision-making. These moral risks include moral disengagement, which results in dehumanizing members of the community, and moral injury, which results from actions and inactions that leave officers with feelings of guilt, shame, anger, and betrayal. The course guides officers to create a personal wellness plan that fosters optimal physical, emotional, cognitive, social, and spiritual health. Additionally, attendees recommit to their noble cause through exercises designed to recalibrate their moral compass. Finally, attendees learn to apply POWER to effective policing in relation to CA POST’s ten psychological job dimensions.
Upon successful completion of the course, attendees will be able to:
1. Describe the moral risks of policing
2. Understand the transactional relationship between wellness and ethics
3. Create a personal wellness plan
4. Develop a plan that recommits to ethical decision-making
5. Apply their POWER wellness plan to effective policing vis-à-vis ten psychological job dimensions
Who should attend?
Anyone involved in Law Enforcement.