The Edson and Margaret Larson Foundation Scholarship is a competitive award of $2,000 to $5,000 per academic year based on the funds made available from the Edson and Margaret Larson Foundation, other academic awards received, and financial need. This scholarship is intended for students who exhibit strong leadership potential and who plan to continue their studies in ND or MN, and/or pursue careers in North Dakota. Eligible junior or senior students (60 credits) will be chosen based upon their demonstrated levels of community service and proven academic, leadership, and entrepreneurial success. YRC students may receive an award for graduate studies. North Dakota residents and/or graduates of ND high schools will be given preference.
- Awardees must have completed 60 credits.
- Awardees must be enrolled fulltime
- Awardees must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25
- Preference will be given to students who plan to pursue a graduate degree in ND or MN, or who intend to use their leadership skills working in ND
- Preference will be given to ND residents and graduates from ND high schools
- Students enrolled in YRC who are completing either a Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree, are eligible to apply.
- Students do not need to complete a FAFSA to be eligible for the Larson Scholarship.
- Recipients will be chosen based upon their demonstrated strong affinity to academics, entrepreneurship, community service, and servant leadership
To be considered for a Larson Scholarship, students must complete the online form below including the required attachments:
1) Upload Submit an essay that addresses the following areas:
a) A summary of their various leadership activities, work experience, their college and community extracurricular activities; the leadership role within each activity; and their leadership philosophy.
b) Their plans after graduation and their plans regarding further academic studies, (e.g., graduate school, professional school, employment).
c) Their intent or commitment to return to the State of North Dakota to pursue their chosen career/profession.
2) Upload two letters of recommendation from individuals who have observed and can comment on the student's leadership activities and skills. (i.e., faculty, supervisors, and/or community members)
3) Upload a current college transcript. (official transcript is not required)
Applications including all required attachments must be submitted online by midnight February 20.
Students will be notified of their selection by March 18.
Selected students will receive their scholarships in the next two consecutive semesters of full time enrollment.
The University of Mary will promote the Larson Scholarship through its faculty, staff, financial aid office, and various forms of e-communication. Students interested in receiving a Larson Scholarship must apply by midnight Feb 20, following the application process detailed above. The Selection Committee will review applications, determine award recipients, and notify the Edson and Margaret Larson Foundation Board of the awardees by May 1.
Scholarships will range from $2,000 to $5,000 per student per academic year based on the funds made available from the Edson and Margaret Larson Foundation, other academic awards received, and financial need. Students may benefit by receiving a Larson Scholarship in lieu of their existing academic award. Students are invited to discuss this with Financial Aid staff. Decisions will be made on a case by case basis.
The selection committee for the Larson Scholarship will consist of the Director of Alumni/Scholarship Coordinator, the Director of Mission Advancement, and faculty members from each school. The selection committee will ensure that all awardees are selected according to the Larson Scholarship eligibility criteria.
Please direct any questions about this scholarship to: