The 13th Annual “Knock Your Boots Off” Beer Tasting & Chili Cook-Off, presented by the Greater Golden Chamber of Commerce in partnership with Coors Distributing Company, is an opportunity for “Beer & Chili” to take center stage near the heart of historic downtown Golden. This is a “must attend” annual event each fall offering beer and chili tasting, along with live entertainment, food vendors, corporate exhibitors and silent auction. Over 2,000 beer and chili enthusiasts attended in 2019!
The event was created to benefit the Golden Chamber of Commerce and St. Jude Children’s Hospital.
The event is promoted throughout the local Golden community and nearby Denver metro area such as local newspapers, small businesses and social media outlets.
The event takes place just off the main street of downtown Golden in Parfet Park. Golden’s oldest park offers the perfect location to enjoy beer and chili on a fall day, with lots of large trees and the sounds of Clear Creek just a stone’s throw away.
Wanted! The Best Chili in Town!! Does Your Chili Have What it Takes? Why Should You Cook
Because it’s all about supporting the local Golden community, having fun and the CHILI, of course! Who has the best?? Chili will be judged and awarded for top flavors by judges and attendees! Show your support for Golden and show off your chili recipes! Everyone loves Chili – so Bring Your “A” Game and come cook with us!
CHILI COOKS: AT-A-GLANCE EVENT BASICS
For more detailed information, please read the 2021 Chili Cook Rules.
Date ~ Time ~ Location
Saturday, October 9, 2021
1 – 4 pm
Parfet Park in Golden, CO
(located just north of the main downtown Golden area, on SE corner of Washington Avenue & 10th Street)
Event takes place rain or shine!
- Any individual, business/organization or restaurant may participate as a Chili Cook, upon application approval.
- Pay a $50 reservation fee that will be 100% refunded upon event day participation. If you cancel and do not participate, no refund of your reservation fee will be issued.
- Must read and sign the 2021 Golden Beer Tasting & Chili Cook-Off rules provided in the application
- Must provide 10-12 gallons of chili per entry. Cooks will prepare and serve a 1 ounce sample for attendees.
Event Schedule – Chili Cooks
7 - 9am Load-in/Set-up – Chili Cooks
12 Noon Cook’s Meeting – Welcome & Review of Rules
1 – 4pm Event Hours – Beer & Chili samplings, entertainment, silent auction
1pm Judging Cups due to Judge’s Tent
3:45pm Chili Awards
4pm Event Close
4:15pm Load-out/Tear Down Starts
- Each Chili Cook booth will be pre-assigned a 10’ x 10’ space on grass.
- Cooks must provide their own tents, tables and chairs.
- The Golden Chamber will provide chili sampling cups for attendees, napkins and serving ladles. Also provided are large cups for the judge’s samples.
- No plastic spoons allowed for attendees! Attendees will simply “shoot” their chili samples from the sampling cups.
- No electricity/power is available. No generators allowed.
Chili Entry Classes & Categories
- Classes will include: Individuals/Businesses and Restaurants
- Categories will include: Red, Green and Other (Other may include vegetarian or white as examples)
Chili Judging – Judges Choice & People’s Choice
Judges Choice - All Individual/Business and Restaurant entries will be judged by a panel of volunteer judges. Chili Cooks will submit a sample of chili for blind judging (i.e. judges will not know who cooked each sample).
- Judging Criteria includes: aroma, consistency, color, taste and after-taste. Note – Heat is not a judging factor!
- Judges will select:
- Individual/Business: Red, Green & Other – 1st & 2nd Place
- Restaurant: Red, Green & Other – 1st & 2nd Place
People’s Choice – All attendees will receive a ballot when they enter the event. Attendees will vote at the Voting Booth and by popular vote will select:
- Best Red, Best Green & Best Other
- Best Booth/Showmanship
- Judges Choice Awards – for Individual/Business and Restaurants:
- Ribbons and cash prizes will be awarded for 1st Place in each category (Red, Green & Other)
- Ribbons will be awarded for 2nd Place in each category (Red, Green & Other)
- People’s Choice – for Best Red, Best Green, Best Other & Showmanship:
- Ribbons will be awarded for each.
What is the Showmanship Award?
- Make your booth a PARTY – for yourself and attendees! Give it a THEME! Have fun!
- Attendees will be encouraged to vote for their favorite booth based on theme, costume, booth set-up, action and audience appeal.
- Showmanship must be in good taste. Lewd or obscene themes are prohibited! Alcoholic beverages may not be distributed to attendees as part of the showmanship.
CHILI BOOTH FEES
The booth reservation fee is $50 - but it will be refunded if you participate! This officially reserves your 10' x 10' space and ensures your participation. After your event participation, you will be 100% refunded your booth reservation fee.
All fees must be included with this completed, signed application to be considered.
APPLICATION DEADLINE ~ ACCEPTANCE ~ CANCELLATION POLICY
TO BE LISTED ON THE OFFICIAL BALLOT AND ELIGIBLE FOR AWARDS AND CASH PRIZES, YOU MUST BE REGISTERED/PAID NO LATER THAN SUNDAY, OCTOBER 3 - 5PM. You will be notified by email of your 'reservation' acceptance. If you cancel and do not participate, no refund of your reservation fee will be issued.
CHILI COOK RULES 2021
Chili Cook Rules 2021 are available in pdf form at www.goldenbeerchilicookoff.org.
Direct further inquiries to Event Director - Lora Knowlton, Programs & Events Manager at Lora@goldenchamber.org.