Background on JVS/Ohlone Nurse Refresher
JVS, in collaboration with Ohlone College and Telecare Corp, offers an 8-week training program for Licensed Registered and Vocational Nurses who are facing barriers to employment in the U.S. This program is designed for US and foreign-trained nurses who would like to re-enter the nursing profession, with a focus on mental health and geriatric nursing care. If you want a mental health/geriatric nursing skills brush-up and one-on-one job search assistance to re-enter the nursing field, then this opportunity is for you! This is a reputable program that has been offered for the past 6 years.
The program will include:
- A RN/LVN refresher course with over 45 didactic and 188 skills lab (at Ohlone College) and clinical hours (at Telecare facilities in the East Bay)
- Access to clinical hours with a preceptor
- General support in completing the course (individualized coaching & referral to industry resources)
- Job search and placement assistance – we’ll help you get your first or next nursing job!
Applicants must submit their completed application by May 13th, 2016. JVS offers more than one Nurse Refresher program; applicants may apply to both but participate in only one of the courses. Due to the high volume of anticipated applications, incomplete applications and applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered for the program. Meeting all eligibility requirements does not guarantee acceptance and preference is given to applicants who have been out of the field of nursing in any setting for at least one year.
Program Eligibility Requirements
- Must possess and submit proof of current, active California LVN or RN license
- Proof of valid authorization to work in the U.S.
- Active American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
- Able to provide clear and current medical exams and immunization records
- Able to pass a criminal background check and drug screening
- Full participation in educational and job search components of the program (adherence to a very strict attendance policy). Students must complete a job search portfolio
- Providing JVS staff with full employment details (job title, employer, wage, hours, benefits offered) for any job obtained while enrolled in or after completion of the Nurse Refresher program is required. This obligation is a condition of the Nurse Refresher program funders
- Regular communication with JVS staff for 1 year after placement in an LVN or RN job
Most of the Nurse Refresher fees are covered by funding from foundations and private donors. The cost of the program to the participant will be between $100 and $300 for stethoscope, physical examination and immunizations*, background check*, and other supplies/materials as needed. You must calculate and cover your own transportation costs.
*You will need a physical examination and immunization record completed by a medical provider in order to take this course. You will also need to pass a criminal background check.
Health screen and background check information and forms will be provided to you later in the application process by the JVS Program Coordinator if you are seriously considered for acceptance to the program.
Class Schedule (Dates are tentative and subject to change)
The summer 2016 East Bay Nursing Refresher course will run from June 6th – July 29th.
You will be expected to be available for class and skills lab at Ohlone College on Mondays and Tuesdays from 9:00-6:00, and for clinical rotations on Wednesdays and Thursdays, both days and evenings. The clinical rotation hours will be scheduled between three Telecare facilities in the East Bay, depending on preceptor work schedules and floor availability. The clinical rotation slots will likely be days and evenings, but may also be nights. Flexible schedules will be required for those who enter the program, as clinical hours will be scheduled much like those of a working nurse. Days and hours for clinical rotations and precepted hours are subject to change.
This application and supplemental documentation will be shared with representatives from Ohlone College for the purposes of application to the NurseRefresher course only. Ohlone College strictly follows the Federal Education Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA), which protects you as a student.