You may wish to print this page as a reference throughout the application.
You cannot save and return; the ENTIRE application must be completed at once.
Faculty members at schools and colleges of pharmacy who are involved in self care and nonprescription medication instruction are encouraged to apply for participation in the 2018 AACP NMA Conference. The application requires the submission of an ABSTRACT describing the outcomes of an academic or practice-based project directly applicable to the area of self-care. Preference is given to projects describing original research or innovation in the nonprescription medicines arena. In order for an application to be considered, the requested information MUST be uploaded at the time of application completion and MUST be in the appropriate format; otherwise, the application will be withdrawn from consideration.
Abstracts that demonstrate collaboration between two or more institutions are encouraged and are preferred to submissions with multiple collaborators from the same institution. To maximize the representation of multiple schools / colleges of pharmacy, only one faculty member from a particular school or college of pharmacy will be selected to attend the AACP NMA Conference. A second applicant from the same school or college may be accepted only if all conference openings are not filled by one applicant from each school or college. All applications received by the deadline will be considered. Because participation is limited to only 70 applicants each year, applicants not selected are encouraged to resubmit an application for the next program offering.
The deadline for application to the 2018 AACP NMA Conference is September 18, 2017. All applicants will be notified of their application status approximately 8-10 weeks after the application deadline. A total of five (5) applicants will be invited to present their work as a podium presentation at the meeting. If selected as a podium presenter, you will be expected to prepare a 12 to 15-minute presentation, submit your presentation handout by a defined date, and provide a 250-300 word summary to be included in the AACP Self Care Therapeutics and Nonprescription Medicine (SCT/NM) SIG faculty spotlight section of the website after conclusion of the conference.
Participants are selected by the AACP NMA Executive and Applications Committee on the basis of the following criteria:
- Applicants must demonstrate a history of academic, professional and civic involvement in self-care or nonprescription medicines or, for newly appointed faculty, be assigned to significant academic roles in these areas.
- Applicants are expected to clearly describe their vision for future challenges and opportunities in self-care and nonprescription medication related to pharmacy education.
- Each application must include a one-page ABSTRACT (instructions below) describing an innovation in teaching methodology, research project, self-care or nonprescription medicine-related topic to be shared as a poster or brief podium presentation, if selected, at the NMA Conference.
Applicants must submit two (2) NASPA/NMA Self Care Challenge jeopardy-style questions (answer with detailed questions and references) to be used for the 2018/19 challenge. When writing these style questions, the questions are to be phrased as answers and the answer should be phrased as the question like on Jeopardy. Answer/Question citations must be from current references and/or guidelines readily available to students. Topic categories / sub-categories are provided in the instructions below with examples.
Applicants must submit a short biosketch of no more than 200 words and written in third person. Please include a word count at the end of the bio.
Applicants must submit a photograph suitable for publication as a .jpeg file
Applicants must submit a course syllabus that meets criteria described in the checklist item #5 below
Accepted applicants will be responsible for all cost associated with the 2018 AACP NMA Conference including the meeting registration fee, travel, hotel, food and miscellaneous expenses. Additionally, the accepted applicant is strongly encouraged to attend the AACP INterim Meeting that will follow the AACP NMA Conference and would be responsible for the associated costs (please see early bird registration pricing and registration cost reduction for attending both meetings).
- The project or curricular innovation described in the ABSTRACT must be clearly linked to an aspect of self-care, self-care education, or use of nonprescription medications.
- The ABSTRACT must clearly describe the methodology and outcomes of the research project or pedagogical innovation.
- The ABSTRACT must be submitted in conjunction with the application on or before the posted deadline (September 18, 2017) and adhere to the designated format.
Checklist for Items to be submitted with the 2018 AACP NMA Application – Deadline September 18, 2017
All materials to be uploaded must be in .pdf format and photos as .jpeg format
(1) Application Question #1: Abstract (following the required guidelines - .pdf format)
(2) Application Question #2: 2 NASPA/NMA Self Care Challenge jeopardy-style questions (following template - .doc format)
(3) Application Question #3: Brief biosketch (no more than 200 words and written in third person - .pdf format)
(4) Application Question #4: Photograph suitable for publication (.jpeg format)
(5) Application Question #5: An application requirement is to submit a course syllabus where self-care content is being taught in the PharmD curriculum at your institution. Please submit one syllabus from the list below. You do not have to be the course coordinator of the course but should request permission before submitting example syllabi.
- Required self-care course
- Elective self-care course
- Self-care IPPE emphasis
- Self-care APPE emphasis
- Integrated self-care pharmacotherapy course
- Integrated self-care skills lab course
The guidelines below are intended to assist you in preparing your abstract. If this is the first time you will be preparing an abstract for submission and screening, we encourage you to seek assistance from a colleague who has submitted abstracts before. You are also welcome to contact any member of the AACP NMA Application Sub-Committee (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com) for additional guidance.
Single-spaced, no more than 300 words, with a 1-inch margin on all sides. Each heading below represents a new line of the abstract.
Title [capitalize first letter and proper nouns]
Author(s) [Last name, First name] Omit titles and degrees; underline presenter’s name, and list name of institution with its city and state
Objectives [list as a header]
- Describe in a sentence the objective of your project, innovation, or research initiative
Methods [list as a header]
- Briefly state the methods you used in your project
Results (or Progress) [list as a header]
- Give a summary of the results (or the progress so far) of the project
Conclusions (or Implications) [list as a header]
- State your conclusion or the implications derived from the project
Key Terms [list as a header]
- Provide at least three key search terms for your abstract
NASPA/NMA Jeopardy-Style Self Care Challenge Questions
Author: Last Name, First Name (year)
Category: See list below (bold)
Sub-category: See list below (bulleted)
Question: This is the medication that you would MOST likely recommend for someone treating acne for
the first time.
Answer: What is benzoyl peroxide?
Citation: Handbook of Nonprescription Medications, 17 Edition, page 697
Categories (bold) / Sub-Categories (bulleted)
Pharmacist’s Role in Self Care
- Self-Care and Nonprescription Pharmacotherapy
- Patient Assessment / Consultation
- Multicultural Aspects of Self Care
- Legal and Regulatory Issues in Self Care Pharmacy Practice
Pain & Fever Disorders
- Musculoskeletal Injurers / Disorders
Reproductive & Genital Disorders
- Vaginal and Vulvovaginal Disorders
- Prevention of Pregnancy and Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Heartburn and Dyspepsia
- Intestinal Gas
- Anorectal Disorder
- Pinworm Infections
- Nausea / Vomiting
- Ostomy Care and Supplies
Nutrition and Nutritional Supplementation
- Essential and Conditionally Essential Nutrients
- Functional and Meal Replacement Foods
- Sports Nutrition and Performance-Enhancing Nutrients Supplements
- Infant Nutrition / Special Nutritional Needs of Children
- Overweight / Obesity
Ophthalmic, Otic, and Oral Disorders
- Ophthalmic Disorders
- Prevention of Contact Lens-related Disorders
- Otic Disorders
- Prevention of Hygiene-related Oral Disorders
- Oral Pain and Discomfort
- Atopic Dermatitis and Dry Skin
- Scaly Dermatoses
- Contact Dermatitis
- Diaper Dermatitis and Prickly Heat
- Insect Bites and Stings and Pediculosis
- Prevention of Sun-induced Skin Disorders
- Skin Hyperpigmentation and Photoaging
- Minor Burns and Sunburn
- Minor Burns, Sunburn, and Wounds
- Fungal Skin Infections
- Minor Foot Disorders
- Hair Loss
Other Medical Disorders
- Self-Care Components of Selected Chronic Diseases
- Insomnia, Drowsiness and Fatigue
- Smoking Cessation
Home Medical Equipment
- Home Testing and Monitoring Devices
- Adult Urinary Incontinence Supplies
Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Introduction to Dietary Supplements
- Natural Products
- Common Complementary and Alternative Medicine Health Systems
Updates / Recent Switches